Wednesday, February 11, 2015



Summary
In Marcelo Gleiser’s article” Is an Identical Copy You, You?” he states it is impossible that existing identical people and people give up instinctive reaction in terms of a copy of himself or herself.

Journal 3
It is awful that I saw myself not in mirror but in reality. However, as Marcelo Gleiser said, it is impossible to construct an “identical copy” of myself. Moreover, I do not think an identical copy of myself would actually be myself.

Admittedly, we can get another ourselves by technology, for example cloning, genetic modified organism. In some regard, the copy resembles the host just in appearance, but taking mind and emotion into consideration, there is a big gap between a person produced in lab and the person grown up in reality, for environment around people varies; that is, environment is another important factor that shapes people after people come to this world.  

As for the second question, I am absolutely reluctant to live with the copy because I have to share everything I own with him. In addition, it is unavoidable that he will affect my daily life. If we live together, we are more likely to become very similar with each other. I am scared that one day I will be the substitute of him rather than he is my identical copy.   

2 comments:

  1. Many of our fears regarding cloning or artificial intelligence (AI) is exactly what you mentioned at the end of your response: will I become the substitute of the thing I've made instead of how it was originally intended? It's a very valid fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loooooove this article! Bravo! If your copy is exactly the same both inside and outside,do you still think he is not actually you? By inside I mean memories, emotions,consciousness as well as other mental personalities.

    ReplyDelete