Monday, February 9, 2015

Journal 3



In Marcelo Gleiser’s article “Is an Identical Copy of You, You?”, the author states that he wouldn’t sacrifice himself for his identical copy because he doesn't believe in perfect copy.

Let us make a hypothesis. There is an identical copy of yourself, ranging from your appearance to your memories and experiences. Would you die for your copy? I will say “Yes”. This may be out of your imagination. However, I have my own reason. In the situation that you have a perfect identical copy of yourself, how do you ensure that you are not the “copy”?

The perfect copy means that the copy and I have same essence and instinct. Most people would worry about that the copy would replace our existence. Nevertheless, the perfect copy wouldn't replace us because the instinct leads that the copy and I have our unitary self. That means the perfect copy will exactly do what we do in the future. We will make same decisions, have same hobbies, and even make same mistakes. In other words, the perfect copy will live our lives as we live. So if the perfect copy live, and I am not worried about that there is no “me” in the world.   

Meanwhile, at cognitive level, I will have not dead after I die for my copy. As I claimed before, I am still alive because my perfect copy will live my life. My parents wouldn’t lose their son; my friends wouldn’t lose a friend. They even don’t recognize that is my perfect copy rather than real me. On the contrary, if my perfect copy and I are both living in the world, they would be confused that which one is real? At that time, even I, the copy or the real me, cannot figure out who is real.

I choose to die for my copy because the world only needs one me, and my death doesn’t affect the world because of my perfect copy.



1 comment:

  1. I LIKE THE CONCLUTION SENTENCE OF YOU ARTICLE,GREAT

    ReplyDelete